Define your objective:
At the beginning of the study abroad process, you should consider your reasons for studying abroad. Students intending to study abroad are recommended to come in to the Center for Global Education and Exchange Office to discuss your interests and the options available out there, and hopefully to find the best match for you.
- A very important tip to remember while choosing your options is to be updated with travel warnings and travel alerts. And also to keep track of the world wide caution news updates. Should you be studying abroad in a country where a travel warning is issued, you will be advised to evacuate in keeping with the U.S. State Department advisory.
However, students who have already decided on the host university or program they wish to enroll can start their journey by going through the application process in chronological order.
If you wish to proceed into the process, FIRST you must login or create an account on the Center for Global Education and Exchange Program website. You MUST complete all the categories of information in order for your account to be successfully saved.
You also have the option to come in to the Center for Global Education and Exchange Program office to get help as you go through the process.
Next step is understanding the requirements for study abroad...
Study Abroad Requirements
Students who are planning to study abroad should understand that they must fulfill the requirements before they leave or depart for the study abroad program.
- Completed 24 college credits by the time of departure ( 24 credits must be attained before departure)
- Obtained a 3.0 GPA
- Must be current full-time UH Hilo student, need to complete one semester at UH Hilo prior to departure
- Be in good health, academic and personal standing (must not have any outstanding judicial issues)
* Minimum requirements must be met in order for CGEE office to process student's application.
- Must Complete Pre-Departure class before date of departure with the Center for Global Education and Exchange (CGEE).
- Must complete Host University Application and submit by due date (due date varies by university)
- Must have submitted and completed all forms through UHH before departure (financial aid worksheet, academic advisor worksheet, pre-departure forms, etc)
- Must check requirements for traveling into another country (visa, passport, insurance card, etc).
Choosing a Program
Once the requirements are understood and fulfilled you may proceed to selecting the program or university of your choice.
There are three different types of Study Abroad Options
2.) Study Abroad through Affiliated programs, e.g. ISEP - **pay tuition directly to host**
University of Hawaii at Hilo Center for Global Education & Exchange